It was my mum who initially introduced this recipe to me. Back when I was living at home it would be the dish I’d crave the most. Something about a good curry just makes the world go round and my tummy grumbly. This is super simple to make and literally a last minute pantry dinner.
This dish has everything from savoury, sweet, spicy and straight up comfort food (hence why I added the word “cozy” into the title). Pair it with some basmati rice or naan and you’re golden.
What You Need
- 1 Jar of Tomato Pasta Sauce + 2/3 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of Cashews
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh grated Ginger (or 1 tsp dried ginger)
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp fresh Coriander Seed
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt (you may want to add more)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 cups total of any veggies you have! (I like to add either some chopped Zucchini, Red Bell Pepper, Cauliflower, Mushrooms…or all!)
- 1/2 cup of Dry Red Lentils that have been rinsed!!
- 1 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 2/3 cup Coconut Cream
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar or Maple Syrup
- In a high speed blender (ie. vitamix) add your pasta sauce, water and cashews. Blend until it’s smooth like a baby’s bottom!!
- In a pot on medium high heat, sauté onion, and garlic until onions are transparent.
- Add in your spices, ginger, lentils and salt. Mix until spices become fragrant and lentils are coated.
- Add in your chopped veggies and stir for about 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour in your cashew/tomato mix into your pot of veggies and stir to combine. Next, add in your coconut cream, brown sugar, raisins and cilantro.
- Let the daal simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Serve over basmati rice and/or with some naan bread
- **PSA** This will probably make a shit ton of daal (depending on how much veg you add etc.) Have no fear! This keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days. It also freezes VERY well!
~All Ideas and Shenanigans are Property of hiatushunnie.com~