Song in Headphones: Genghis Khan (I took dance breaks while writing this)
If you find you’re in a rush some mornings, grab one of these on the way to work/school with an apple — you’re set till lunch! I sometimes eat one before a run to keep me going, and they are especially great for hiking. Have a try at these and also take a look at my other protein bar here!
What you Need
— Yields 12-14 Bars —
GF Quick Oats | 1 Cup Medjool Dates | 7 pitted
Raw Cashews | 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter | 1/2 Cup
Hemp Hearts | 1/2 Cup Water | 3-4 Tbsp (add slowly)
Puffed Rice Cereal (I use brown) | 1/2 Cup Cinnamon | 1 Tsp
Dried Cranberries | 1/2 Cup Salt | 1/4 Tsp
Chia Seeds | 1/4 Cup Agave | 1-2 tbsp (for binding)
Ground Flax Seed | 1/3 Cup Optional: Cacao Nibs | 1/4 Cup
For Chocolate Drizzle:
Dark Chocolate Chips | 2/3 Cup
Avocado Oil | 1 Tsp
- In a food processor, Combine Oats, Puffed Brown Rice, Hemp, Chia, Flax, Cashews, 1/4 cup of Cranberries, and Dates. Pulse until everything is combined and the cashews are about 2 mm in diameter (blend for about 45 seconds)
- Add the 7 pitted dates, Maple syrup and water (if you find that your need to add more water, do so in small If you feel you added too much water, replace the moisture by adding more flax or oats.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and stir in the other 1/4 cup of cranberries and cacao nibs (optional) with a wooden spoon. The consistency should be of almost a cookie dough. Grab some in your hand, and make into a ball with one hand. if it sticks together, but not to your hand it’s good!
- Grab a 9″x 13″ pan (or a smaller one if you want your bars to be thicker). Line with with parchment paper and spread out the mixture onto it.
- Pat it down with another piece of parchment paper (to keep your fingers clean) and ensure that its thickness is even throughout.
- Place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes until it solidifies a bit.
- Which the bars are chilling, melt your chocolate and oil together.
- Place chips in a microwavable bowl and add oil.
- Microwave for 15 seconds, take our and give it a stir.
- Put back in microwave for another 15 seconds, stir again.
- Repeat this one more time and your chocolate should be melted (if it’s not, stir vigorously…within a few second it will all be melted).
- Place in small zip-lock back and trim off the tip of the bag to act like a piping bag.
- Set aside
- Take out your chilled bars out of the freezer and lift the entire thing out by holding onto the sides of the parchment paper.
- With a big knife, cut mini squares or 3 inch bars
- Drizzle with the Chocolate
- Re-freeze for 5 minutes
- Store in the fridge for maximum freshness. They can last up to 3 weeks!
**If you find that your dough is too soft, just add more flax to stiffen the mixture (this recipe can be finicky…don’t panic :) **
~ All Ideas and Shenanigans are Property of http://www.hiatushunnie.com ~