Song in Headphones: Such Great Heights
It’s the of start soup season in Vancouver. With all these rainy weekends, what’s better than making a good ol’soup?! The other day I was at the grocery store and walked past the produce section. It was there I noticed the “glorious” Leeks. All these years, I never thought to add them to any of my dishes. Needless to say, I walked out of the grocery store with a leek in hand and nothing more.
I’ve also been obsessing with sage lately. I made a sage pasta dish yesterday. Check it our on my Instagram here. With Autumn here, my garden supply is slowly coming to an end. Try out this dairy free soup and let me know what you think!
What You Need
Coconut Milk | 1 Can
Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (can sub for vegetable broth) | 2 1/2 cups
Potatoes | 20 little yellow/red or 3 regular sized
Leek | 1 Medium
Garlic | 2 Cloves
Extra Virgin Olive Oil | 2 Tbsp
Fresh Sage | 1 Tbsp
Nutmeg | Pinch
Ground Cloves | Pinch
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh Chopped Sage
Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes – set aside.
- Take your leek and cut it down the middle from top to bottom. Rinse your leek and all it’s layers under the tap. This part’s important as dirt likes to hide here.
- Chop up your leek into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a medium soup pot, add your oil and crushed 2 cloves of garlic. Turn heat to medium high.
- Combine the leek and sage with your garlic.
- Stir until the leeks are tender and partially translucent.
- Add the chicken/vegetable broth and coconut milk – along with the nutmeg and clove.
- Finally, add your diced potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper until desired taste
- Let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes on low until the potatoes are tender to fork
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Happy eating, happy cooking :)